We are Local 1546 of the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, the UFCW. The UFCW, affiliated with AFL-CIO, is an International Union representing workers from a diverse range of industries including grocery and drug retailers; meat cutting, processing, and packing; chemical works; nursing home and healthcare facilities, and many others. The UFCW has Local Unions spread throughout the United States and Canada.
Local 1546, a union merged in January, 2002, from former UFCW Locals 100A, 1540, and 546, represents around 25,000 members throughout the state of Illinois, part of Northwest Indiana, and dotted throughout several other states. Our members work in retail grocery and drug stores, in meat packing and processing plants, in nursing homes, in leather processing plants, and in a number of other retail settings. Local 1546 is proud to represent workers at companies such as Vienna Beef, Jewel-Osco Foods, Rochelle Packing, Alden Nursing Care Facilities, and dozens of others.
At UFCW Local 1546, we believe that:
- Our first obligation is to negotiate the best possible contracts for our members, and then to see to it that the terms of those contracts are enforced through the filing of grievances, when necessary, and through committed and caring service to our members.
- Every group of workers – large or small – deserves union representation and a decent union contract. Therefore, we are committed to organizing the un-organized workers within our region who seek out the benefits of Union representation, regardless of their numbers.
- Our Local Union is only as good as its members. Participation in the daily work of the Local is the job of every Local 1546 member, and the leadership of this union encourages and welcomes the input and involvement of all of its members.
- We, as all unions, have an obligation to all working families – union and non-union – to fight for the rights of workers by supporting and encouraging legislation that promotes workplace safety and the overall betterment of the lives of working families, and furthers the cause of the Labor Movement in America. We, therefore, encourage our members to register and vote, and to be politically informed and politically active citizens.
- This Local Union should be a source of a wide range of additional benefits for its members and their families whenever possible and appropriate. We, therefore, establish relationships with outside organizations and vendors for the purpose of securing a variety of life-enhancing and money-saving benefits for Local 1546 members and their families.
- In conjunction with the UFCW and its other Local Unions, we have an obligation to be a good citizen and work to improve life in our communities. We do this in part by supporting our official charity, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The members of Local 1546, therefore, participate fully – year after year – in a variety of fundraising events for this worthwhile cause.
We invite you to browse this site to learn more about UFCW Local 1546 and its commitment to you… the American worker!